To make it easier than ever to slide into someone’s DMs on Instagram when using Facebook Messenger, Facebook and Instagram are merging their messaging services, allowing for cross-platform communication.
To bring the best of Facebook Messenger to Instagram DMs, they will allow users on both platforms to seamlessly connect with each other.
10 new features are coming to Instagram DMs besides cross-platform messaging.
Users can choose to delay the update to a later time or update immediately.
You’ll see the following prompt upon opening Instagram if you’re eligible for the update.
If you choose to update now, here’s more about the new features and the changes you can expect
Upcoming Features on Instagram Direct Messaging
These are some new features you will get Instagram DMs:
- Messaging Across App: Connect with people seamlessly across DM and Messenger by using either app to send messages or join video calls.
- Watch Together: During a video call, you can enjoy watching videos on FB Watch, IGTV, Reels, movies, TV shows and more with other users.
- Vanish Mode: After they’re seen or when you close the chat when you choose this mode, seen messages disappear.
- Selfie Stickers: Creative with your selfie to a series of boomerang stickers to react to messages.
- Chat Colors: Customize your chats with color gradients.
- Custom Emoji Reactions: Create a shortcut of your favorite emojis to use quickly in conversation.
- Forwarding: Easily share content with up to five friends or groups at once.
- Replies: Respond directly to a specific message in your conversation and keep it flowing.
- Animated Message Effects: Add visual flair to a message with animated send effects.
- Message Controls: Choose people who can message you directly or who can’t message you at all.
- Enhanced Reporting and Blocking Updates: Report full conversations in addition to single messages. Receive proactive blocking suggestions across Instagram and Messenger when you add your accounts in the new Accounts Center.
Users can choose to utilize or not from the above new features. The main change to know of is who’s able to message you.
Now, people using Messenger can connect to you on Instagram without you downloading a new app, and vice versa.
You can find messages and calls from people using Instagram in the Instagram app.
Facebook says even more ways to connect will be added over time.
Some of these features will be available on Instagram first and come to Messenger after. Such as custom emoji reactions and selfie stickers.
Growth of Messaging on Instagram & Facebook
Facebook highlights how far messaging has come since it was first brought to Instagram.
Now, people send more than 100 billion messages to each other every day on Facebook’s family of apps alone.
Internal research from Facebook to who use messaging apps in the US. It finds out that four out of five of them say they’re important for spending more time with friends and family.
It will be even easier for people to stay connected and express themselves in new ways with the new update.
Facebook is going to roll out these new features on Instagram and Messenger around the world.
Though does say it will be expanded globally soon but a few countries will receive the update first.
News: Google Launches Google Pixel 5
Charlie McDowell Proposed Make Lily Collins Was “Very Surprised”